In the carriage yards at Southern Cross Station a shunters float is provided to assist with the washing of carriage sets.
The wagon was built in 1927 as an ‘E’ open wagon.
In 1977 the wagon was taken off register, converted to carry wheelsets, and recoded as HR 116.
It was then recorded VZLA 78 in 1985 for use as a shunters float at the carriage maintenance depot at Spencer Street.
In 2007 the wagon was modified to operate the power operated doors of the ‘H’ type carriage sets.
The wagon has a jumper cable at each end of the wagon. The cable is of same type as a locomotive MU cable, which is also used on the H cars for door control between sets.
Additional ‘Anderson’ connectors carry the 74 volts ‘auxiliary’ power from the from the Y class locomotive to the control box on the shunters float.
The control box has a switch labelled ‘power on / off’ as well as push buttons ‘door close’ and ‘door open’.
With shunters using the control box to close the carriage doors before shunting the consist through the train wash.