A project in the works for some time now is the V/LineCars Tracker. It collates service data from the V/Line app, and uses it to tracks which trains are used on which services, as well as changes to carriage set consists over time.
Data collection commenced in July 2020, and we have see a number of changes to the carriage found in each carriage set.
Unfortunately the data is not 100% accurate - things to keep in mind include:
- The consist for a given service might be changed before departure time, but the data might not get updated, resulting in inaccurate data being logged by the V/LineCars Tracker.
- Data entry errors sometimes result in non-existent carriages being included in a given consist.
- Non-revenue movements are not included in the data, so ‘last seen’ dates reflect revenue services.
- ‘First seen’ date reflects the first appearance in revenue service, blank values mean that a service appeared before the tracker was switched on.
- ‘SH’ and ‘SH’ carriage sets are not tracked as 3-car sets, but as a six car long ‘SSH’ or ‘SLH’ carriage set.
- ‘N’, ‘FN’ and ‘VN’ codes do not appear to reflect the code actually applied to the carriage set.
Service histories for each VLocity DMU, Sprinter DMU and N class locomotive can be found at https://tracker.vlinecars.com/service-histories while carriage set consist changes can be found at https://tracker.vlinecars.com/carsets.
December 2020 Update
Unfortunately V/Line have updated their data feed, and consist data is no longer available. It was good while it lasted!